COVID-19 PROTOCOLS— Updated January 25, 2022
- Stay home if ill. We continue to recommend that students and staff with COVID-19 symptoms stay home from school and get tested to help us keep our community safe. Families are expected to continue to self-screen daily at home for symptoms.
- Everyone masks at school. We recommend a well-fitting, high-quality mask(e.g., surgical-style mask, KN95 or KF94), rather than only a cloth mask. Please send your child to school with at least one back-up, and remind your child to wear the mask over both nose and mouth.
- If your child has contact with someone who is COVID-19 positive, please contact the school. In cases of close contact exposure at school, all students (regardless of vaccination status) will be required to test on Day 5 after the exposure. Students who are not fully vaccinated may be asked to take an additional test earlier.
Additional Details about our COVID-19 Safety Protocol:
- TeacherEase Daily Survey – Please complete the morning health screening before your child arrives at school. It helps us monitor symptoms and exposures outside of school.
- The use of outdoor space will be maximized whenever possible. We continue to eat outdoors and hold mixed-grade activities outdoors whenever possible.
- Ventilation – Our furnace was upgraded to include MERV 13 filters and every classroom has a portable HEPA air filter as well. We will keep windows and/or doors open whenever feasible and comfortable to maximize natural ventilation.
- Only students, staff and vaccinated parents are allowed on campus. If there is a need for a visitor to come on campus to engage with staff and/or students, the visitor must provide proof they are up-to-date with their vaccinations (Up-to-date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible) or show proof of a negative rapid antigen test.
- Safe transportation practices – Students who carpool with other families should remain in stable groups. Please treat the vehicle as an indoor space, open windows, turn the fan on high and set to outdoor air, and wear face masks. When taking public transit, CDPH requires everyone to wear face masks, including those who are fully vaccinated.
- The school will perform immediate testing of any symptomatic staff or students with a rapid antigen test and request subsequent PCR testing if needed.
- If you test at home and have a POSITIVE or INCONCLUSIVE result, please email us immediately and do not come to school.
- Students and staff who test positive for COVID-19 should immediately inform the school and isolate for 5 days. They may return after 5 days if they have: a negative test collected on or after day 5, no fever for 24 hours (without medication), and other symptoms are improving.
- We ask that you secure your own testing, since test kits are limited at Kittredge. PCR or antigen tests are acceptable. You can use any over-the-counter FDA-approved at-home test (antigen test list here, PCR/NAAT list here), or have your child tested by a healthcare provider or public health testing site (testing site info here).
- If you are testing to return from isolation after confirmed COVID, an antigen test is recommended.
- We do not want students to miss school because they cannot get tested. Please contact the office to check on availability of tests if you cannot secure a test.
For details on the specific protocols we are following, please see SFDPH’s Guide for Isolation and Quarantine.
COVID CASES ON CAMPUS & MODIFIED QUARANTINE
- In the event of a COVID case at school, Kittredge will follow the SFDPH’s guidance for schools (summarized here ). If there is an exposure on campus, all staff and students within the class will be tested. Students and staff may be permitted to attend school with a negative test as long as they do not have symptoms. Unvaccinated students will be required to follow a modified quarantine (can attend classes; no after school activities) and will be tested twice to attend school.
- Each case is unique and if there is a case of COVID on campus you will be notified as to how to proceed.
- Kittredge requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the exception of individuals who obtain a medical or religious exemption.
- We urge all eligible students (ages 5 and older) and all Kittredge family/household members to get vaccinated and stay up to date with boosters at their earliest opportunity. Kittredge will continue to assess the possibility of requiring the vaccine for eligible students. To make an appointment, go to: https://sf.gov/get-vaccinated-against-covid-19.
- Please keep your child’s vaccination record up to date. After each dose, upload a photo of your child’s vaccination card (or screenshot of the electronic record, available here) to this link for our records: https://forms.gle/GerebG93jBQ4z2LB6
TRAVEL/SCHOOL BREAK GUIDANCE
- All staff and students, regardless of vaccination status, must test twice after breaks of a week or longer: once on the day before returning to classes and again on the third day back at school (e.g., Sunday and Wednesday).
- Kittredge will provide at-home tests for use after breaks of a week or more. Every student will receive one COVID-19 test kit before Presidents’ Week break. These results must be uploaded to: https://forms.gle/nX96JBfF43JUKwNy6 on Sunday before returning to school.
- If families are traveling at other times during the school year, unvaccinated students/staff must follow this same protocol after any trip involving mass transit. Please secure your own tests for this purpose.
- We hope that the updated protocols give staff and families a clear understanding of what to expect. Please contact Kittredge via phone or email if you have any questions.
- Please make decisions not only for the wellbeing of your family but also for our entire school community. Kittredge School prioritizes the health and safety of its students, staff, families, and complies with the mandates and guidelines of the California (CDPH) and San Francisco (SFDPH) Departments of Health.
Thank you for keeping our community safe and healthy.